In this blog we will discuss further some points to consider when hiring a contractor.
You can find the original discussion at https://bluestarcarpentry.com/how-to-choose-a-contractor/
When a contractor comes to the home there are many things to consider:
- Do they have current license and insurace?
- Do they have a good track record?
- Do they offer visitation to job sites?
- Do they remove all garbage from job?
- Are they licensed and insured?
- Ask for proof of their license and insurance when they come to your home for the estimate.
- Ask to see a copy of their license.Be sure they are working legally in your municipality.
- Confirm that they have workman’s compensation in case their workersare injured on your property.
- Confirm that they have liability insurance in case they damage your property.Liability also covers you, your family, or your guests for injuries resulting from the construction process.
2.Make sure your contractor has a good track record:
- Ask for referrals of customers they have worked for. Some referrals are willing to show you the work.
- Check reviews on Angie’s List, Trex.com, or Google Pages.
- Call consumer affairs.
- Call the BBB (Better Business Bureau).
3.Ask if you can visit an open job site:
- This is a great opportunity to see the dynamic of who works at your home.
- Are the employees easily identifiable with uniforms?
- Does it appear that the employees are conducting themselves in a safe manner?
- Is the jobsite messy?
- Do they look happy to be there?
4.Make sure the contractor is responsible for removing all the garbage:
- Will the jobsite be cleaned at the end of each day?
- Will the debris be carted away?
- Will the contractor have a dumpster in your driveway or trailers it away daily?
- Do they run magnets in the yard to pick up nails and other sharp metals?
We hope that you find this additional information to be helpful in your decision on hiring a contractor. Follow us on Facebook to keep getting helpful tips like these.